Tutti frutti smart cake is a colorful and delicious fruit cake. Try this easy recipe with basic ingredients, and make it in less than half an hour. It is a sweet for all seasons, I like it with melon, watermelon and peaches, but throughout the year you can create different kind of cakes using seasonal fruit. This is a dessert suitable for children drenched with pineapple juice or other juices. For a tastier cake you can use a rum or maraschino syrup or a liquor that you like.
For sponge cake
- 4 eggs
- 150 g sugar
- 150 g flour
- 8 g baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 150 g sugar
- 120 g flour
- 1 L milk
- lemon peel
- pineapple juice mixed with water or other juice
- 125 g water
- 50 g sugar
- 8 g corn starch
- 250 ml sweetened whipped cream
- fresh fruit to taste
- The secret of the smart cake is in the sponge cake, flat and wide. In a bowl break the eggs and mix with the electric whisk. Add sugar, flour, and baking powder. Pour the dough into a 35cm × 35cm squared baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 180° C /350° F / Gas 4 for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a saucepan warm the milk with a piece of lemon peel. In other saucepan break the eggs, add the sugar and mix with a whisk, then add the flour. Mix well to get a smooth mixture. When the milk is hot remove the lemon peel and pour it into the pan with the cream, while mixing with the whip. Turn on the fire and mix it continuously until the cream gets thicker. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let it cool. To prepare the syrup use pineapple juice mixed with water, or other juices or liquor.
- Take some fruits and slice them for decoration. Then take the rest and dice for the filling.
- When the sponge cake is baked, let it cool. Then bring it out from the mold and place it on a new baking paper sheet. Cut it into two identical strips and cut out the crunchy borders.
- Place the first layer of sponge cake on a tray, soak with the pineapple juice, pour some cream on top and level with a spoon or a spatula. Place diced fruits: melon, peaches, watermelon, and pineapple. Place the second layer of sponge cake and soak with the syrup. Then pour some cream, this time also covering the edges of the cake. With sliced fruit decorate the cake as you like.
- To polish the cake we can use the spray or simple gelatin purchased at the supermarket. I prefer homemade gelatin with simple ingredients. In a saucepan pour sugar, corn starch and water. Turn on the fire and mix it continuously until it thickens slightly, it will take a few seconds. Then pour with a spoon over the fruits on the cake.
- Now for the final touch, whip the cream until it stays firmly. Fill the piping bag and start decorating the sides of the cake. Tutti frutti smart cake is ready! If you like it share it with your friends.